Monday 16 July 2012

Kettlebells



I had planned to go running this evening. However, the weather had different plans and it was raining (again). Not just the fine rain which can be quite refreshing, it was the bouncing off the pavement, will get soaked by waves if a bus goes past kind of rain.
So, instead of running, I got my kettlebells out. Correction - I got one of them out, I wasn't feeling that strong.

Weight training, even in small amounts, can really contribute to great overall health and goes hand in hand with cardio workouts. Kettlebells are excellent for developing a strong core, which is very useful for runners who want to have good posture. I suspect all runners actually want good posture, and none of them would wish to have a sloppy running style. Personally, I'm not overly fussed, I am happy just to complete a run and get home still standing vertical.
I digress.

I understand that there are different theories about where kettlebells originated. Some say Russia, others Scotland, and others say way back in ancient Greece. In any event, they've been around for a long time and are still great for weight training. However, now they are made with easy grip handles, and come in pretty colours.

Kettlebell exercises are designed to make the body maintain its balance. Groups of muscles work together, often making it a time-saving, full body workout.
My favourite exercise is the basic swing. Holding the kettlebell with both hands, by the horns, I start in a squat position with my feet slightly apart and the kettlebell just off the floor. Swinging the kettlebell out in front of me and lifting my arms to 90 degrees, or shoulder height, I stand up in a smooth fluid movement (or at least that's the plan). I swing the kettlebell back down between my feet and return to the starting squat position, and repeat for 10, 20, 30 swings (or until my arms get tired).
Another way of using the kettlebell is to simply incorporate it into other traditional exercises like squats, lunges and sit-ups. Doing 20 lunges whilst holding a kettlebell, and my legs certainly know about it!

Lots of gyms now have kettlebells and some places even run kettlebell classes. I recommend shaking up your exercise routine with something different like kettlebells.

http://amzn.to/OChs4f

No comments:

Post a Comment