Sunday 15 July 2012

Plastic and plants

I'm looking for ways to re-use household items, both to save money and to recycle more.

Occasionally I buy soft drinks such as cola and lemonade in large plastic bottles. I admit to feeling a little guilty when I throw the empties away since these synthetic objects take decades, if not centuries, to break down and sit in landfills around the world.

Instead of throwing them out straight away, I'm going to recycle them by removing the labels, taking the tops off, cutting the bottles in half and using them as cloches to protect my little plants from birds and pests, and when the weather turns to protect them from frost.

I believe I also have some plastic cutlery left over from a barbecue last summer. I'm going to write on the plastic knives with a permanent marker and use them as plant labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment