Wednesday 18 July 2012

Effective Kettlebells

As a follow up to my recent post about working out with kettlebells, it prompted me to think about why it is that working out with kettlebells is so effective. I got out the leaflet and other information which came in the box when I bought my set of kettlebells and did a bit of research.

I mentioned before about how kettlebells help to strengthen core muscles to improve posture, and we all want to have a shapely mid-section. Something else I had not considered at the time was how extra effort is needed to grasp the molded hand grip, and so grip strength is also improved – possibly something which men might want to think about when improving their handshake!

Another major benefit of working out with kettlebells is the way that they require full range of motion. They require using lots of muscle groups, employing the body as a whole to work as an efficient fat-burning machine, and improving flexibility at the same time. As lean muscle is developed more calories are burned, and the body’s composition is altered. I like getting on the scales and seeing my body fat percentage going down, even if the actual weight stays the same.

Another way that kettlebell workouts are different from standard routines is that they often imitate real-life movement. For example, none of us actually performs a sit-up in their everyday activity. However, we may well find ourselves lifting a heavy box with two hands, from squat position, to standing position.

Incorporating kettlebells into other exercises can boost their effectiveness too. I tried this by walking on my treadmill – something which on its own is not too difficult. However, when I picked up my kettlebell, the simple act of walking became much more tiring, but I’m hoping that more calories were burned and more muscle was strengthened in a shorter period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment